Friday, March 6, 2009

The age of miracles and the miracle of ageing

Well, we had a great weekend. The celebrations all went off without a hitch - well, except for not having the birthday boy actually there with us.

The family event on Saturday afternoon reconvened unscheduled in the evening with about thirty of us sharing a meal together in the holiday home Marion had hired. St Paul's parish had a very worthy celebration on the Sunday morning when Bev and I cut Dad's cake and acknowledged the role that the congregation has played in Dad's life. He'd lived in Taupo more than anywhere else in his one hundred years.

So, for me, it was a very rich time of family and faith. We had lots of hugs as the Aussie contigent departed. Then it was a quick trip back up to Whangarei for my three-monthly Zoladex shot and confirmation that my PSA seems determined to remain increasingly measurable. Since being home, some terrible weather, a Dispute Tribunal hearing and visits to the local doc and Xrays of my bothersome knee have dominated life. But it's great being back.

On Sunday I get to preach for the first time for ten weeks and I think I can have some fun with Abraham having a family in his extreme old age. I must mention that to Dad since he was back in his own rooms at Taupo within five days of the op and I'm told he got himself up and showered and dressed before the staff got to him next morning. Who knows, perhaps he may father another son...

Of course, Abraham was only a mere 99...

No comments:

Post a Comment