Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Licensed to Swill?


I am really intrigued by Chris Ogilvie’s letter to the LISTENER Apr 24 2010. In the context of all the publicity about the Law Commission’s recommendations to Parliament, he suggested that if we wished to engage in consuming the “Class B Drug” alcohol, we should have to meet certain conditions to obtain a licence to drink. Fully ID’d, the licence could have conditions attached it and it could be withdrawn if used inappropriately. It seems to make quite a lot of sense.
But perhaps my enthusiasm for the idea is affected by my current drug-induced journey through post knee replacement surgery. The knee has been coming along but the brain is turning to mush. Television seems to have deteriorated, old videos look really worn, beautifully prepared food seems less interesting than usual. Even the physio nurse – who’s hardly seen me – said I’m probably pretty grumpy. And Bev didn’t deny it.
All that because a few days ago I became aware of some internal resistance to the ingenious little metal and plastic bits in my knee. It’s enough to make you want to pop down to the bread section in the supermarket and pick up a bottle or two of a Class B drug…

1 comment:

  1. Was that a curve ball or a googly?
    I agree with you about the license to indulge for grown ups. The major problem for me is that children and teens are gaining access to a poison that like nicotine is very addictive. Two poisons that in their pure form we would not even consider consuming, yet dressed up, people are almost falling over themselves to try it out.
    Until we treat them with the respect that they each deserve we are condemned to treating the results
    Farmercorby.

    ReplyDelete