Thursday, June 26, 2014

ARN-509 - the trial


Well, Bev and I were off to North Shore Hospital again today and submitted my application for the ARN-509 Trial. I was taken all through the 16 page documentation again and found no reason why I should not at least let my name go forward. I understand I'm the first in the region.
So now I go off Bicalutamide immediately and can expect a curious drop in my PSA before it goes up again. A couple of PSA tests in the first half of July should reveal this pattern. There will then be whole body screening to ensure that the cancer hasn't already moved into places where I really don't want it.
All being OK, my application for the trial will then be submitted. Perhaps I will be able to begin swallowing eight pills a day some time in August. Once started, I have two chances in three of being on the medication rather than the placebo. That's better odds than many trials which are often 50-50. And before and during the trial I will get some sophisticated diagnosis and at least learn a bit more about what's going on inside me.
And to my surprise, I learned that travelling expenses will be paid for me to attend clinics. I believe this trial of some 1200 men worldwide is costing several million dollars and that one donor has put up half of the amount raised. I take my hat off to all who contribute for cancer research. Defeating cancer is a distant goal but it's little steps along the way that are helping. I hope I get to play a small part in the journey if only to justify the time and commitment being put in by medical staff and others to make the whole programme possible.
I'll try to keep this blog up to date with progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment