Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ups and downs with prostate cancer

After reading sixteen pages of information - neither very well edited nor well presented, actually - we have made a firm decision that I will apply to go on the ARN - 509 Trial.

But we realise that the selection process may disqualify me, so there's a lot to think about. On the one hand, it's exciting to think that I will at least get some sophisticated diagnostic work. There will doubtless be something to learn from the process, too. On the other, we are naturally thinking more about the situation than usual and we could easily get a bit anxious about the outcome.

And, of course, as soon as I begin to think about it all, I feel odd aches and pains all over my body. I've boasted for twelve years that I haven't got an identifiable symptom of cancer. Now I think I can feel them several times a day!

So we have plenty to think about if we can squeeze in the time between editing and re-publishing my book of short stories, co-writing a book on Russell Methodist Church, installing a new tow coupling and shroud on the caravan and practising for the Village Barbershop Chorus on Saturday. We are both having to keep a diary of everything that we are fitting into our lives at the moment. I haven't run a decent diary for more than a decade - as some of our friends in Paihia found out when I failed to show at a meeting. It's a busy and interesting life...

Just in case anyone is wondering, the proper name for the stuff is 4-(7-(6-cyano-5-(trifluoromethyl)pyridin-3-yl)-8-oxo-6-thioxo-5,7-diazaspiro[3.4]octan-5-yl)-2-fluoro-N-methylbenzamide  Sounds like it should be good for something, doesn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment